- 5.7L DOHC 32-valve i-Force V8 engine -inc: dual independent variable valve timing w/intelligence acoustically controlled induction
- 6-speed automatic transmission -inc: electronically controlled intelligence (ECT-i) sequential shift mode uphill & downhill shift logic
- Automatic limited-slip differential
- 4WDemand 4-wheel drive system w/electronically controlled 2-speed transfer case
- Front tow hooks
- Trailer sway control
- Independent coil-spring high-mounted double wishbone front suspension w/low-pressure nitrogen gas shocks stabilizer bar
- Trapezoidal multi-leaf live axle rear suspension w/staggered low-pressure nitrogen gas shocks
- Hydraulic pwr rack & pinion steering
- Pwr vented disc brakes
- P255/70R18 tires
- 18 spare wheel & full-size tire
- Color-keyed upper & chrome lower front bumper
- Chrome rear bumper
- Chrome grille surround
- Manual headlamp adjust
- High solar energy-absorbing glass
- Tailgate assist
- Deck rail & tailgate caps
- 8-way adjustable driver & 4-way front passenger seatsFold-up rear seat
- 2-way adjustable headrests
- Carpet flooring
- Tilt steering wheel w/column shifter
- Instrumentation -inc: tachometer tripmeter exterior temp gauge digital clock
- Pwr windows
- Pwr door locks
- Dual zone air conditioning w/sync mode
- (4) front & (2) rear cup holders
- (2) front pwr points & (1) rear pwr point
- Front & rear map lamps
- 4-wheel anti-lock brakes w/brake assist
- Vehicle stability control
- Traction control
- Electronic brake-force distribution
- Driver & front passenger advanced airbags
- Driver & front passenger seat mounted side airbags
- Front & rear roll-sensing side curtain airbags
- Driver & front passenger knee airbags
- 3-point seatbelts in all seating positions w/automatic & emergency locking retractors driver & front passenger pretensioners w/force limiters driver emergency locking retractor
- Child-protector rear door locks
- Child restraint system top tether anchors for rear center seat
- Rear outboard seat LATCH anchors
- Tire pressure monitor system
- 4-WHEEL ABS
- 4-WHEEL DISC BRAKES
- 6-SPEED A/T
- 8 CYLINDER ENGINE
- ADJUSTABLE STEERING WHEEL
- AM/FM STEREO
- AUTO TRANSMISSION W/MANUAL MODE
- AUXILIARY PWR OUTLET
- BRAKE ASSIST
- CD PLAYER
- CHILD SAFETY LOCKS
- CLOTH SEATS
- CRUISE CONTROL
- DRIVER AIR BAG
- DUAL ZONE A/C
- ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL
- FRONT READING LAMPS
- FRONT TOW HOOKS
- FULL SIZE SPARE TIRE
- GASOLINE FUEL
- INTERMITTENT WIPERS
- IPOD/MP3 INPUT
- KEYLESS ENTRY
- LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL
- MP3 PLAYER
- PASS-THROUGH REAR SEAT
- PASSENGER AIR BAG
- POWER DOOR LOCKS
- POWER DRIVER MIRROR
- POWER STEERING
- POWER WINDOWS
- REAR HEAD AIR BAG
- REAR READING LAMPS
- SIDE HEAD AIR BAG
- SPLIT BENCH SEAT
- STEEL WHEELS
- TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM
- VARIABLE SPEED INTERMITTENT WIPERS
Toyota's Tundra is available in more than 50 variations to meet different truck users' needs for 2011, with 2- or 4-wheel drive, three cab styles (regular, Double Cab, and Crew Max), three bed lengths (short, standard, and long), three wheelbases and three different engines. The 5.7L V8 offers an E85 flex-fuel option.
Each of the three beds is about 22 inches deep and shaped to accept 2x8-foot lumber dividers. The steel tailgate is designed to be opened and closed with just two fingers, and there's also an available Deck Rail system for more individualized cargo arrangements.
Regular cab models are the standard two-door arrangement with one row of seating, the Double Cab offers smaller rear doors for occasional back-seat passengers, and the big Crew Max brings full-size rear doors and seating comparable to that offered in big SUVs. Crew Max models also have a unique reclining and sliding rear seat, while Double Cabs get a folding seat bottom that allows for a flat storage area when the seat isn't in use.
The base engine on regular and Double Cab standard-bed models is a 236-horsepower, 4.0L V6. Crew Max and Double Cab long-bed models get a 4.6L V8 making 310 horsepower and 327 ft-lb of torque. A 5.7L "iForce" V8 making 381 horsepower and 401 lb-ft of torque is available on all models and on 4-wheel drive Tundras, in some regions, the engine can be optioned to run on E85 ethanol/gasoline blend. All of the engines meet the stringent ULEV II emissions certification and run on regular grade gas. The 4.0L engine is paired with a 5-speed automatic transmission, but the 4.6L and 5.7L both drive 6-speed automatics.
All Tundras have a rear suspension design that maintains a level ride height even with a full load; underneath are fully boxed frame rails in front and rolled C-channel members in back. When properly equipped, the Tundra can tow nearly 11,000 pounds.
The Tundra has more standard safety features than most of its competitors. Front-seat side airbags are standard on all models, along with roll-sensing side-curtain airbags and new front seat knee airbags. Also, 4-wheel disc brakes with vehicle stability control are standard on all Tundras. New this year is standard trailer sway control programming and brake override technology, which use the truck's stability control system to detect unintended side-to-side movement at the rear wheels while towing and uses the truck's anti-lock brake system to help counteract yaw caused by unwanted trailer motion. A trailer brake controller allows the driver to control the amount of brake boost applied to the trailer's electric brakes when the driver applies the vehicle's brakes.
While the safety features are standard across the line, the Tundra ranges from basic to very luxurious inside depending on the trim level, starting at the very frugal base model and going all the way up to the very well-appointed Limited.
Different Tundra models are available, including a new "Work Truck" no frills trim level that's available in standard cab or double cab versions. It features plain black bumpers, vinyl seats, rubber floor mat and manual-adjustable mirrors. Limited Double Cab and CrewMax get equipment upgrades such as power front seats, 6-disc CD changer, heated mirrors and mud guards. The Limited model includes all the interior luxury features offered in full-size SUVs, such as dual-zone climate control, heated power front seats and a 440-watt JBL surround-sound system. Finally, a Platinum edition available on the Limited CrewMax features power memory, navigation, sunroof, unique 20-inch wheels, wood and chrome interior accents and "Platinum" badging.
Inside, all models feature a tilt/telescopic steering wheel, door handles and control knobs large enough to be operated with gloves. The glovebox is designed to be big enough to hold a Thermos and the center console is large enough for a laptop or for file storage. Interior power outlets stay live for two hours after the ignition is switched off.
A TRD (Toyota Racing Development) Off-Road Package is optional on the Tundra, bringing an off-road suspension, off-road tires, skid plates, fog lamps and more. New TRD Sport and TRD Rock Warrior packages include special color-keyed bumpers. Rock Warrior also gets a special TRD-tuned off-road suspension and both offer unique wheels.
Other notable options include a DVD-based navigation with rearview camera, rear-seat DVD entertainment system and larger 20-inch wheels.
Toyota's full-sized Tundra pickup receives mostly minor changes for 2011. Mechanically, the base 4.0L V6 now features Toyota's dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i), utilizing roller rockers and hydraulic lifters for increased performance and efficiency. Sway control and brake override technology have been added as standard equipment to aid in trailer pulling ease and safety.